FIS offer a comprehensive mercury recovery/decontamination service which will undertake site decontamination/spillage response throughout the UK. This is supported by a specialised mercury recovery plant at our Berwick facility.
The mercury recovery plant has the capacity to process up to 2 tonne batch quantities and is based on the breakdown of mercury compounds into metallic mercury followed by vacuum distillation to leave a residual ash which cab suitable for reuse, recovery or disposed according to the current regulations, and a mercury fraction typically 99.99% pure.
This operation has been developed in direct response to environmental legislation restricting the land disposal of mercury wastes. The process is recognised as Best Environmental Practice by the Environment Agency and carries full IPPC authorisation and can be offered from our Facility in Berwick upon Tweed.
In addition, the Plant can handle a variety of mercury bearing wastes for treatment including:
- Treatment of Lamp powder
- Filter residues, filter media
- Activated carbon contaminated with mercury
- Treatment of Inorganic Mercury Lab Smalls
- Treatment of Dental Amalgam
- Button cells
- Contaminated equipment and pipework
- Treatment of Mercury contaminated soil, Thermometers, Sphygs, PPE, and Plant equipment
- Off site investigations, sampling and removal of plant & equipment for Mercury decontamination and recovery/ disposal.
- Emergency spills